Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Mumbai - A city, A wonder

On September 2011, I paid a visit to the most popular city of India - yes, the city of Mumbai. The commercial capital, the fashion capital, the city that never sleeps....you can call it by any name you want.

The city featured at the number one position on my bucket list. Years of planning and dreaming finally worked out. It was a short vacation of 4 days. I landed in the city on the day before Ganesh Chaturthi. What caught my breath at first was the marvelous aerial view of the city, its skyscrapers, the vibrant coastline and various other aspects that I got to view as the arircraft gradually descended from the skies.

Sitting by the side of the window, at that moment I wished that by some magic or sorcery, the plane got stuck in the clouds so that I could keep gazing at this marvelous view. Though short lived, yet the view was etched in my heart, never to be wiped out again.

The charm of the city caught my fancies the moment I emerged out of the airport. I could feel the vibrancy in the air. A certain aura of passion, excitement and freedom seem to be wafting in the air. I questioned myself as to whether this was for real or was it just another facet of my overtly profound imagination. Well, it was definitely the latter...confirmed by the fact that such deep emotional entourage faded into oblivion the day I left the city.

It was monsoons in Mumbai at that time. Incessant rains poured through the day and night. But that did not dampen my spirits of exploring the city. Each day was an adventure of sorts. I walked down the busy streets of the city, trying to soak in the life as much as I could.

I went to the bustling area of Goregaon Station. I could see people scrambling and running to get the train that would take them to their destination. Yes, the local train...the lifeblood of the fashion capital, without which the city would come to a standstill. The entire area was filled with different kinds of shops. From food joints, to gift shops, garment shops, repair shops...you ask for it and it is there.

From Colaba to Mahalaxmi and even to Bandra....I travelled across the lenght and breadth of the city inspired and awed by its beauty (a blend of modern and colonial feel).

Mumbai is definitely a dream city...a city that speaks of life, that breathes of joy.

Few Pictures depictong the spirit of Mumbai...amazing!
(Clicked by me. So please use after seeking permission or else it will amount to plagiarism)































No comments: